Miso Black Cod
MISO BLACK COD RECIPE
Ingredients (Serves 2-4 adults):
- 4 black cod fillets
- 1/4 cup sake
- 1/4 cup mirin
- 1/4 cup white miso paste
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- Two to three days beforehand, make the miso marinade and marinate the black cod fillets.
- In a medium saucepan over high heat, bring the sake and mirin to a boil. Boil for 20 seconds to evaporate the alcohol. Turn the heat down to low, add the miso paste, and whisk. When the miso has dissolved completely, turn the heat up to high again and add the sugar, whisking constantly to ensure that the sugar doesn't burn on the bottom of the pan. Remove from heat once the sugar is fully dissolved. Cool to room temperature.
- Thoroughly dry your black cod fillets with paper towels. Cover the fillets with the miso marinade, cover, and refrigerate for 2-3 days.
- When you're ready to cook the fillets, preheat your oven to 400 degrees (F). On the stovetop, heat an oven-proof skillet over high heat. Lightly oil the pan then place the fish skin-side-up and cook about 3 minutes. Flip and cook the other side 2-3 minutes. Transfer to the oven and bake for 5 to 10 minutes, until fish is opaque and flakes easily.
- Pair with rice and your favorite greens, and dazzle your guests!