Pacific Halibut Chowder
PACIFIC HALIBUT CHOWDER RECIPE
IMPORTANT: Make sure your Pacific halibut is properly thawed before cooking.
Ingredients (Serves 5-6 adults):
- 2 tablespoons butter (we used salted but unsalted works too)
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 large Yukon Gold potatoes, cubed (we like to keep the skin on but feel free to peel it off)
- 1 cup corn (fresh, frozen, or canned)
- 1 cup peas (fresh or frozen)
- 1 large carrot, diced
- 1 cup clam juice
- 3 cups milk (add more milk if necessary)
- 1 cup cream
- 1 pound skinless halibut, cut into 1-2 inch pieces
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a Dutch oven over medium heat, melt butter and add onion. Cook 5-7 minutes or until onion is soft.
- Add potatoes, corn, peas, and carrots. Reduce heat to low. Add milk, clam juice, and cream. If more liquid is needed, add water.
- Add bay leaf, dried thyme, salt, and pepper.
- Cover and simmer over low heat about 15-20 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Stir occasionally.
- Once potatoes are done (you will easily be able to cut through them like butter), add the halibut.
- Simmer on low heat 5-10 minutes or until fish is opaque and cooked through.
- Bowl up, add salt and pepper to taste, and serve with your favorite crusty bread.