Thai Salmon Cakes
THAI SALMON CAKES RECIPE
IMPORTANT: Make sure your Chinook (king) salmon is properly thawed before cooking.
Ingredients (Serves 2-4 adults):
- 1 pound local Chinook (king) salmon
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs (or any crushed cracker)
- 1 teaspoon fish sauce
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh garlic
- Salt to taste
- 1-2 tablespoons sesame oil for pan frying
- Freshly chopped cilantro to garnish
- 4 fresh lime wedges
- Sweet Thai chili sauce for dipping
- For additional dipping: mix 1 tablespoon mayonnaise, juice of 1 fresh lime wedge, and 1 tablespoon freshly chopped cilantro
- Heat oven to 425 degrees. Generously salt salmon fillets. Place salted salmon fillets on a baking sheet and cook for 10-15 minutes.
- Allow salmon fillets to cool, then flake large chunks with a fork.
- Add the salmon flakes to a large mixing bowl. Add green onions, egg, panko breadcrumbs, fish sauce, mayonnaise, ginger, garlic, and a pinch of salt.
- Mix until combined but be careful not to over mix—you should still see large chunks of ingredients.
- Form into 1/2 inch patties.
- Over medium heat, add 1 tablespoon at a time of sesame oil to frying pan. Place 3-4 patties in pan at a time. Cook 2-3 minutes per side. (Only flip the patties once and be gentle while flipping.)
- Garnish with freshly chopped cilantro, fresh lime wedges, and 2 dipping sauces: Sweet Thai chili sauce and homemade cilantro-lime-mayo.